Before we talk about the best smartwatch for podcasts, we need to learn about what podcasts are. Then we will see how we can listen to podcasts on smartwatches. After that, we will have a look at a few smartwatches for podcasts.
What is Podcast?
Podcasts are modern web versions of radio programs on various topics. It is much more diverse and open than radio programs. You can have your own podcast program. You will have to subscribe to a podcast app or channel to listen to the programs you like.
Nature of Podcast:
Usually, podcasts are the voice of people. On various topics, people choose to speak their mind or host someone to talk on a selected topic. These are episodic audio of various lengths. You need to subscribe to a particular website or app or service from your smart devices and listen to them.
Radio Vs Podcast:
Although podcasts are in one sense radio programs, podcasts themselves have gone beyond being just like radio programs.
For example, BBC has many radio programs, and these programs are recorded as audio files and then serialized as a podcast series. You cannot access the radio, then you can subscribe to one of these podcast series and download and listen anytime you want. You do not have to wait a whole week like a radio program to listen to them. Online access is available from any device.
Although some podcasts are just audio files of radio programs, the rest are original contents. With the advent of technology, it is now possible to record your voice and then have a podcast channel of your own. Thousands of people are uploading their own content on various topics as originals. This is not possible for radio. You need to set up a station and need broadcasting equipment and permits and many more.
Podcasts can be of any length. People get to do interviews with famous people, unrestricted by time segments like the radio. A podcast can last for hours, or it can just be for only a minute or so. People can choose to broadcast what others do not want to or wish to discuss on radio stations.
Versatility of Podcasts:
Podcasts do not include audios only. There are video podcasts as well. The restrictions a radio station has, will not stop podcasts from offering many topics that are not covered anywhere. There are many niche topics that people love to talk about but are not covered by radio. Audiences choose their topic and listen to the podcast of their choice. Podcasts are a nice way to pass your boring and idle time. Usually, when you commute, drive a car or ride a bike, travel by train, bus or ferry, you can listen to your favorite podcasts.
All you need is a device that can tune into the podcast channels. It can be your smartphone or laptop, or even desktop. Nowadays, you can listen to podcasts on your smartwatches as well. Connect your headphones to your device and listen.
Pro Vs non-professional Podcasts:
Usually, there can be two types of podcasts – non-professional and professional. The non-professional podcasts are very chatty, non-conventional, informal, or casual – like a normal conversation between friends or acquaintances and without any setup or script leading the conversation. They could talk about songs and music that are trending. There are podcasts where singers come and join and take requests directly from the audiences via Direct Messaging and then sing the song for them. It could be a book reading or even voice acting.
On the other hand, professional podcasts are very serious. The producers will spend a lot to create a setup where famous people would come join the podcasts and talk about their lives and other things. Usually, there is a host of the podcast and the other person would be a guest. There could also be a few similar-minded people sitting together in a home studio, or they could connect to each other via online conferencing and continue a discussion on a chosen topic.
# Top 5 Best Smartwatch for Podcasts in the Market – Editor’s Pick
Podcasts and Smartwatches:
We have seen previously in this article that we can listen to our podcasts in various different ways. You can use laptops, personal computers, smartphones, iPhones, iPads, tablet computers, etc. And now, enter the smartwatches. Yes, you can now listen to your podcasts via smartwatches.
Smartwatches are tiny devices and sit nicely on your wrists, and you can listen to your favorite podcast with a Bluetooth headset or wired headset. Smartwatches are easy to carry around, therefore it can be your most preferred device for podcast recreations. First, subscribe to a podcast channel or app on your smartphone and then sync it with the smartwatch you have. Therefore, we would like to give you the best smartwatches for podcasts in this article.
1. Fitbit Versa 3:
The first smartwatch on our list is the Fitbit Versa 3.
It can communicate via Bluetooth. It has a lithium-ion battery. It comes in black color. Versa 3 can take command via microphone. This is a smartwatch for running without phone.
- Versa 3 is a real activity tracker. Do your workouts or go on a hike or for a walk or run, Versa 3 will keep track of your heart rate, distance, steps taken, speed, etc. You can find out the intensity of your workout from your Versa 3.
- ‘Active Zone Minutes’ is an app that puts your heart rate date into various zones according to the intensity of your workout. When your heart rate is dangerously high it will notify you with a vibration. The watch can work at a maximum height of 28000 feet.
- Another app ‘PurePulse 2.0’ tracks the heart even in subzero temperature.
- You may want to know the condition of Oxygen in your blood during the night with another app called SpO2. Their clock faces the SpO2 level.
- You can get the updated and recent news from Alexa from Amazon or Google Assistant. You can use your smartwatch to give commands to smart devices at home.
- You can take calls or reply to them via speaker and mic built-in with the device, or you can connect your bluetooth headset to the smartwatch. With a call on your smartphone, you can do almost everything that you do on your smartphone.
- You can store and play podcasts, music on Pandora or Deezer. You can also access Spotify from your smartwatch.
- Versa 3 has a good health and workout tracker.
- You can store your favorite podcasts and music.
- Nothing worth mentioning has been found.
2. Apple Watch 7:
When the brand name is Apple, we do not have to ask anything more. The brand value has so much power and trust poured into it that it has become synonyms to class, style, fashion, and prestige. So, no wonder Apple watch 7 would come under our radar, and we will put it on our list of smartwatches. You can run a smartwatch podcast app along with this one with your smartphone.
Apple watch 7 comes with a number of apps – heart rate monitor, fitness tracker, elevation tracker, messages, multisport tracker, GPS, pedometer, Multisport tracker, weather, time display, sleep radar, alarm, find my phone, etc.
- Its basic wireless communication medium is Bluetooth.
- It has an aluminum case and sport band. The smartwatch comes in green color.
- It runs on the WatchOS operating system.
- It has a touchscreen, a microphone, and buttons for interaction.
- The size of its screen is 41 millimeters.
- The Retina Display has an always on mode, and the display now has 20 percent more screen area than its predecessor Apple watch 6. Texting or reading messages have become easier.
- It is crack-, dust-resistant and swimproof.
- It has sensors for heart rate monitoring, measuring the oxygen level in your blood, and monitoring the quality of your sleep.
- It can now track newer workouts such as Tai Chi, in addition to many other common workouts like swimming, yoga, running, dance, etc.
- You can now listen to your favorite podcasts, music, and audiobooks.
- You can also make payments with Apple Watch 7 now.
- Price has always been the main sorrow of the interested buyers. But Apple only makes for ITS particular customers. They do not go down to them, but they invite people to come up to their price standard for a purchase. It is like ‘I am not going down in price, so you have to come up to my standard to get me.’ Price tags are always heavy.
3. Garmin Forerunner 645:
The next smartwatch on our list of watches is Garmin Forerunner 645. It will not just track your health while you do your running or walking or cycling, it promises to make your activity even more enjoyable with its music function. The massive storage it boasts can store many of your favorite songs and podcasts.
Forerunner will make daily commute to and from your school or office a joyful experience. It comes in black color and with a battery. It has a screen size of 1.2”. You can easily read the display even under the sun. It is compatible with both iPhone and Android. It can connect to other devices via the ANT+, WiFi, and Bluetooth technologies.
- Forerunner has a big storage and can store up to about 500 songs. This means you can store your favorite podcasts too and listen to them whenever you want to.
- You can sync to music providers. But you may need an additional paid subscription.
- With the Garmin Pay, you can do your contactless payments with ease. If your banks support Garmin Pay, you can use this and leave the valuables at home.
- If you have any one of HRM tri monitors, or HRM run or running dynamics pod (you need to buy separately), you can have advanced reading on your running workout. You will be able to get data on vertical ratio, length of your stride, ground contact time, balance, and many more.
- It can read your heart rate from your wrist. It can also give you data on your present training.
- The battery charge can last as long as seven days in casual mode where you do not use advanced features. But if you are using GPS and music at the same time, the battery will last only about five hours.
- It can last under 5 ATM water pressure.
- Forerunner fashions a storage that can hold a large number of songs and podcasts.
- It has a contactless paying system.
- Forerunner is a good health tracker and can track your workouts.
- It can withstand 5 ATM water pressure.
- The battery could have been a bit longer-lasting. There are smartwatches with better battery performance with the same kind of features.
4. Apple Watch SE:
Luckily for you, we have yet another Apple Watch on our list of smartwatches, and that is – Apple Watch SE. Although it is not an Apple Watch 7, it is still an Apple Watch nonetheless. On top of a number of application support, it can connect via USB. It runs on WatchOS and can only connect to the iPhone.
- Days calling with just your smartphone are in the past. Now you can make calls from your Apple Watch SE. Not just placing or taking a call, you can also send and receive texts from your wristwatch now.
- It has support for so many workouts, and it can track your fitness or health with a fitness tracking app on your smartphone.
- Thanks to the elevation and the compass, now you can go on a hike in the mountains.
- Track your heart rate with your Apple Watch SE so that you can remain healthy or take measures to become healthy.
- You can now sync your favorite podcasts, music, audiobooks, etc.
- You can use Apple pay to make instant payments.
- Apple watch SE is swim proof.
- You can track your workout and health with this smartwatch.
- You can make instant payments.
- Listen to podcasts and music.
- The Swim Proof design of this watch keeps you relaxed even in the water.
- There is nothing so far.
5. Garmin 010-01985-01 Vivoactive 3:
We have another Garmin on our list of smartwatches – Vivoactive 3. Apart from supporting a number of apps, it can connect to Bluetooth and GPS. It comes in black color and you can use the touchscreen to interact with the smartwatch. It has a silicone band. This is the best running watch with podcasts.
- You can use your smartwatch now, to listen to music and your favorite podcasts. It has a big storage and playback system. With this smartwatch, even if you do not use your smartphone anymore for music, your daily commute to and from the office, school will be enjoyable. You will not miss any of your favorite podcasts. You can even listen to your favorite things while you do your daily walking or jogging. With GPS you will be able to track how far you have been walking or running. You can store upto 500 songs in your Vivoactive 3.
- You can wear this smartwatch everywhere and in every weather condition. It is swimming proof so you can even take a bath while wearing this on your wrist.
- Its display is Garmin Chroma. This helps you read your watch even under the direct sun. The watch is protected by super durable glass. It is very easy to use and comfortable to wear.
- You can pay right from your wrist with your Garmin smartwatch.
- You can track your sports and health with preloaded apps. You will not need any phone. When you start your activity, your Garmin will choose the setup more suitable for your selected activity. You can monitor your progress through the GPS. You can also find out your heart rate.
- You can also check the weather with the AccuWeather app.
- You can create custom workouts for your routine.
- Connect to your smartphone, you will be able to do a lot more than just tracking your health. All the notifications you get on your smartphone, will be delivered to your Garmin Vivowatch 3.
- With Garmin web you can join the online community and finish various challenges and compete with your peers from your community.
- This watch can track health, gather data from all the workout, and help you pay for things.
- You can have weather reading for you.
- It can sync with your smartphone to deliver all the notifications on your smartwatch.
- There is nothing so far.
6. Fossil Gen 5:
The next item on our list is the Fossil Gen 5 smartwatch. This runs on WearOs operating system. It supports apps such as heart rate monitor, pedometer, GPS, phone, fitness and health tracker, etc. Its communication standard is Bluetooth.
It comes in black color with black straps or bands and has GPS connectivity. It can wirelessly connect to a smartphone. You can interact with this smartwatch via microphone and touchscreen. Its screen size is 1.28”.
- Fossil Gen 5 can work with Android and iPhone both. The size of its case is 44 millimeters, and its band is 22 millimeters. You can interchange the band with any other Fossil bands of 22 millimeters.
- The battery life can last a day or more than that depending on the usage of GPS and Music play. If you take updates your battery will drain quicker too. So, charge before you upgrade the firmware or apps.
- The charger is magnetic and can stick to the back side of the case, and it can spin for your ease. It can move around the center 360 degrees. The charger is good and can replenish the battery life for about eighty percent.
- With Google Fit, you can now track your fitness activity; you can track your distance with GPS tracking.
- You can swim wearing this smartwatch because it can withstand 5 ATM.
- Customizing the watch face will be a joyous activity because you can now select from hundreds of watch faces.
- You can make payment, track fitness activity, use stop watches, play games, watch news or listen to music and podcasts, use social media, etc.
- You can now get all the notifications on your smartwatch from your smartphone be it a text, or call, or from other apps. You can automatically sync your calendar and time zone. You can never miss another call ever because you can now place and take calls directly from smartwatch.
- Works well with both Android and iPhone.
- Fast charging zero to eighty percent within an hour of charge.
- This has music and a podcast player.
- You can swim wearing this smartwatch.
- Nice customized watch faces are available.
- This smartwatch does not support the Android Go version.
- The battery life is not up to the mark.
- This smartphone will not work with phones without Google Play Store.
7. Garmin Fenix 6:
Enter the Garmin Fenix 6 – the seventh smartwatch on our list. This comes with black bands and in dark gray color. Batteries are included of course. It has a 1.3 inches LCD display. You can interact with the smartwatch via the buttons.
It can work with both Android and iPhone. It can connect to WiFi, ANT+, and bluetooth. Global maps are also available. This is the best smartwatch for audible files. This one is the best smartwatch for listening to podcasts.
- Garmin Fenix has been designed to withstand your rough daily use. You run or jog or fight to get on the subway train, and Fenix will be there with you to accompany you through the tough journey. You can read the display under the sun. The bezels are from titanium, stainless steel, or DLC – diamond like carbon coating.
- This watch can monitor the level of your sleep and read heart rate with Pulse Ox. It can also read the elevation.
- This watch has training features. It can provide readings of your workout sessions.
- It has access to over two thousand ski resorts, TOPO maps, various satellite systems like GPS, Galileo, and GLONASS. There is a three axis compass, barometric altimeter, and gyroscope.
- With Garmin pay you can also make payments right from your smartwatch.
- You can have big storage for storing music. You can download your favorite podcasts too. You may have to pay for a subscription.
- In smart mode the battery can last for about two weeks. If you use a music player and GPS battery life can only last for about ten hours. But in expedition mode with GPS, it can last for about a month. If you put it to power saver mode you can run the battery for forty-eight days.
- You can have full access to multiple GPS satellite systems.
- Garmin Fenix lets you make payments from the watch itself.
- Awesome battery life.
- It has big storage for saving podcasts and music.
- There is no information on its resistance against dust, splash, etc.
8. SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch 4:
Like Apple, Samsung Galaxy is now a name in almost every household around the world. The newest Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 has them all. Whatever you may want your smartwatch to have, it has them all – phone call handling, Sleep monitor, and GPS.
It can communicate with other devices via Bluetooth and runs on Android 6.0 operating system. Its body comes in pink gold and the band comes in beige color.
- When the name is Galaxy, it will be very much compatible with other Galaxy devices.
- Through the buttons and touchscreen, you can interact with the smartwatch.
- You can accidentally splash water over it but do not go on a swim.
- Galaxy Watch 4 can now read your BMI or body mass index, track you health during workout, take your sleeping data, and also measure the oxygen level in your blood.
- Because of the ECG sensor on this smartwatch, you can take proper reading of your heart and share the data if you want with your physician. Connect your unit to your Galaxy phone and sync it with the smartwatch.
- It is water-resistant.
- It can do ECG, and you can even share the data with your doctor.
- It can now read your BMI
- No cons so far.
9. Garmin Forerunner 245:
We have another Garmin at our hand. It is none other than the Garmin Forerunner – Forerunner 245. As it is from the Garmin Forerunner series, it has many common sensors and functionality. It comes in an aqua color but the color of its band is green.
The band is made from silicone, and the watch case is made from resin material. It supports heart rate monitoring, GPS, contacts, fitness, and more. The display size on this smart watch is 1.2 inches.
- The smart watch runs GPS. It will help during your boring times by playing music and podcasts. It also has sensors to help with your body fitness tracking like all other smart watches. You can connect to online services for podcasts or music.
- With Garmin’s very own personal trainer you can get a step-by-step guide for better health. Or, you can even make your own workout routine. You can join the online Garmin community and take challenges by competing against others.
- If you want more advanced data on your running like length of your stride, ground contact time balance, etc., you use an HRM Tri or HRM Run monitor, but you will need to buy them separately.
- There is a security option which will send your location, in case of any emergency, to your emergency contacts. But you will need to have your smart watch paired to your smartphone.
- This smart watch battery can run for about a week in smart watch mode. But if you run music, training features, and GPS together, the battery can last for about 6 hours or so.
- There is a big storage for music. So, you will not need your smartphone during your training sessions. You can run for miles, and the Forerunner will keep track of your music.
- You can sync with your favorite music providers and download at ease and listen to them later, even when you are offline.
- It can judge your present workout routine and notify you if you are going to extreme or not doing the right amount of exercise.
- You can get specialized plans from your Garmin Coach, or you can customize your own workout plan. Use Garmin Connect to join the Garmin community and compete.
- It has an emergency incident detection option.
- Battery can last for a week in casual use but lasts about six hours in GPS, music, and training mode.
- Battery life should have been better.
10. Garmin Venu Sq Music:
It seems Garmin has fully occupied our smart watch list. Even the tenth and the very last smartwatch is from Garmin. The last one is the Garmin Venu Sq Music. It has the usual application support for heart rate monitor, GPS, phone, contacts, sleep monitor, etc.
It can communicate with your phone or other smart devices through Bluetooth. The watch comes in moss and slate green color. It can connect to GPS and has compatibility with apparently just Android phones only. It is water-resistant.
- The display of this smartwatch is in ‘always on’ mode. So, you can clearly read the data on the display even in a bright light.
- You can learn a lot about your own body such as heart rate, energy level, hydration, respiration, menstrual cycle for women, sleep stress, etc.
- You can download podcasts, songs, or music of your choice directly to your smart watch storage by linking to your smartphone. Once the songs and podcasts are downloaded you can leave your phone behind when you go for a walk or jog.
- It can detect physical aspects during a selected list of workouts like pilates, yoga, cardio, etc.
- You can do contactless payment if the outlet supports Garmin pay network.
- Thousands of watch faces are available at your fingertips just download them to your smart watch after connecting to the IQ store via your smartphone.
- Normal use can take the battery to a week, and heavy use with music, GPS, etc. on will support you only for about six hours or so.
- Big storage allows you to download podcasts and music to your smartwatch and listen.
- There are workout and health tracking apps.
- You can customize your smartwatch with lots of watch faces.
- The battery is not good enough. It can only run for six hours in smartwatch mode with GPS, and music on.
Finding the right smartwatch for listening to podcasts:
It is a jungle of devices out there. Smartwatches from all over the world are in the market, but only a few selected will satisfy as the best smartwatch for podcasts. So, you need to know exactly what you are shopping for.
You need to know about the features you must have. There are some features which are very common and you will find them in almost every smartwatch. But specifically finding a smartwatch that is suitable for only podcasts will be a bit difficult without help. This is the reason why we wish to give you some notes on this.
- First of all, money is important. You need to find a smartwatch that fits your budget. So, you have to find how much you are willing to spend for a smartwatch. Frankly speaking, if you do not have ten times the price of the smartwatch in your bank account, then do not go shopping. Find your price range.
- Then you will need to find if your choice has big storage and WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity options. You can connect to your smartphone and download what you need.
- Usually, the rest are common features like heart rate, sleep, oxygen level, etc. are very common features. There are hardly any watches without them nowadays.
- Your device should be able to send SOS in case of an emergency to your relatives or friends.
- Warranty is important too. You must check if there is a warranty for your smartwatch.
If you can follow these simple guides you will be able to safely select a watch.
We hope that you have read through this article. We have listed the best smartwatch for podcasts. If you follow our guide you will not be fooled. To get a good device you will have to research extensively and then choose the one suitable for you.
Yes, it does. You have to set up the contacts through your smartphone.
No, but you can go to a waterpark and enjoy light splashing of water.
Yes, of course. You can trust its performance.