Imagine living in a fantasy world where you can meet elves, fight trolls, and complete quests just like in role-playing games. Visualize yourself riding haunted rollercoasters, or meeting face to face with a serial killer, or looking around a room full of blood. Well now, you can stop imagining because you can experience it with virtual reality (VR). And you can experience all the suspense safely in your room with gadgets like the LG VR headset.
The age of virtual reality started in 2010 and has been taking over the gaming world up to present. Until recently, the manufacturer's innovations delivered virtual reality headsets that brought us to a computer-generated three-dimensional world that we could explore. But with a wearable gadget on our heads, we can experience more than what was available to us previously. Are VR headsets for you?
WHO IS LG
LG started as Lak Hui Chemical Industry Corp (currently LG Chem.) in 1947. The company branched out in electronics by 1958 and established Goldstar Company Ltd. By 1983, Lak Hui changed its name to Lucky Goldstar and unveiled its LG logo the year after. They finally changed their name from Lucky
Goldstar to LG in 1995 and have remained LG since. The company uses innovation aimed at improving customers’ lives and businesses with leading products. They offer optimal solutions and new experiences by constantly developing and modernizing their products. The company is contemporary, yet authentic, and communicates “Life’s Good.” And
LG puts a lot of effort into keeping close relationships with its customers all around the world.
Although the company launched as a specialist in cosmetic products, its Goldstar brand focused on electronic products. Currently, the products they offer include mobile phones, appliances, laptops and computers, solar technology, and the LG VR Headset.
Virtual Reality Headsets can either be Head Mounted Displays (HMD) or Heads-Up Displays (HUD.) The difference is that HUDs are static, while HMDs move with the movement of your head. They allow users to interact with a virtual environment from a first-person perspective. The VR headset replaces your surroundings with virtual reality content in the form of a film, a game, or a 360-degree image that allows you to look around the virtual world.
The first type of VR headset is mobile VR. With this, you dock your smartphone in the compartment of the head mount. The product has lenses inside that divide the screen of the phone into two to provide a 3D experience.
Mobile VR headsets don't contain any motorized or electronic components; they're simple shells with specialized lenses. Some examples of mobile VR headsets available on the market include Samsung Gear VR and Google Daydream.
Tethered VR headsets, on the other hand, are devices designed to be more immersive than mobile VRs. They have better features, which include better motion sensors and head-tracking abilities. In some of the products, there are external cameras to track the movement of the user’s head accurately.
However, they are more expensive than the mobile type of VRs. Oculus VR products and the LG VR headset are good examples of high-quality tethered VR headsets.
LG VR HEADSET
Aside from appliances and computers, LG has another top-shelf product. It's the LG VR headset, which is also called the LG 360 Virtual Reality Headset.
The LG VR headset has a screen resolution of 920x720 per eye, with a pixel density of 639 pixels per inch. It also has a horizontal field of view and an 80-degree lens. In addition, the product uses a six-axis proximity sensor with gyroscope and accelerometer to detect movement.
However, you can only use the LG VR headset with the LG G5 phone and LG 360 VR manager to access games and videos.
The 360 VR headset has a CNET rating of 5.4 out of 10 stars. The comfort it provides wins consumers hearts.
However, many users felt that the device’s access to LG G5 is restrictive. Even more, users didn't find an immersive experience with the LG VR headset. One even said that you might want to purchase 3D goggles instead. It also has the lowest visual specs among the products available in the market at 920x720 per eye.
Users say that this product is best for people who already have the LG G5. Other than that, you may want to consider buying other tethered VRs.
OVERALL PRICE RANGE OF TETHERED VR HEADSETS
The price range of the tethered VR headsets on the market is between $$$ to $$$, depending on the specifications and additional features of the product. Sony PlayStation VR is the cheapest product available on the market. However, you can only use it with the PlayStation console. The most expensive top-shelf VR is the HTC Vive Pro.
HOW WE REVIEWED
To review the LG 360 VR headset, we researched various technology websites that talked about virtual reality headsets. And we checked third-party sellers and other sites for customer ratings for the products. We also thoroughly reviewed various websites, blogs, VR headset manufacturers, and re-seller sites for customer feedback and comments about the products we selected.
LG VR HEADSET VS. OTHER TETHERED HEADSETS?
There are only a few VR headsets currently available on the market because this trend is just starting. Below is a list of products that are comparable with the LG VR headset.
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved Optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced "screen-door" effect.
- Ergonomic Design: Keep your head in the game thanks to a halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus Touch Controllers: Arm yourself with our updated Oculus Touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grabs appear in VR with intuitive, realistic precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus Insight Tracking: Take a step forward with Oculus Insight. It translates your movements into VR no matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external sensors.
The Oculus Rift, manufactured in the U.S., has a screen resolution of 1080x1200 per eye, with 461 pixels per inch. The Oculus Rift has motion sensors with external visual positioning and a field of view at 110 degrees. It connects to Oculus Home and Steam VR, both of which offer the best variety and quality of games and videos available.
Oculus Home alone has hundreds of games including Star Trek, Lone Echo, and other high-quality VR games. Additionally, this product’s access to Steam provides an even wider variety of games than most VR headsets.
The Oculus Rift boasts a CNET rating of 8.0 out of 10 stars and a BestBuy rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. Most customers enjoyed the vast collection of games available, and it is still growing. Additionally, some users commended the head and hand tracking capability of this product. One of the major setbacks is the price. Customers didn't like that the price doesn't include the controller.
- ENHANCED GRAPHICS - Super-rich colors and sharper than ever details: 2880 x 1660 and 615 PPI
- REAL-LIFE MOVEMENT - 360-degree controller and headset tracking covers your movements to the millimeter, floor-to-ceiling
- IMMERSIVE AUDIO - Feel sound all around you with hi-res, high impedance headphones with active noise cancellation
- DEFINE YOUR PLAYSPACE - Use VIVE seated, standing, or in a space up to 22'11"' x 22'11" with supporting base stations
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT - Enhanced ergonomics of the headset allows for greater comfort in VR for longer game play
HTC Vive Pro’s screen resolution is 1400x1600 per eye and has a pixel density of 615 pixels per inch. Accordingly, the HTC Vive Pro has one of the best visual specs among this list. It has a 110-degree field of vision, which is comparable with Oculus Rift. And it also has SteamVR tracking, G-Sensor, Gyroscope, proximity sensor, and IPD sensor. All of these sensors provide sub-millimeter tracking and large-scale tracked areas.
The product has access to Vive Port and also SteamVR which, like Oculus, increases the library of games it can access.
It has a BestBuy rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. Many customers say that Vive Pro is best for people who have space for it. They claim that it is more immersive than the Oculus Rift because you can walk around in it due to the sensors built inside. But because it's one of the high-end brands with more technology, it's best for VR gaming veterans.
- ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission is a brand new platformer, developed exclusively for use with PS VR with gameplay unfolding around you in 360 degrees
- Moss is an action adventure puzzle game tailor made for the VR platform that will transport you to expansive environments brimming with beguiling creatures and take you on a journey to help a young mouse named Quill
- Bundle includes PlayStation VR headset, PlayStation Camera, Demo Disc 2.0, ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission Blue Ray Disc and Moss game voucher
The Sony PlayStation VR is another great headset for gamers. The product has a 1080x960 screen resolution and a pixel density of 386 pixels per inch. The sensors used by the PlayStation VR includes motion sensors, 3D depth sensors, PlayStation Camera, and nine LEDs located around the headset for pinpoint-accuracy in the gaming world.
As a gaming console VR, it has access to PlayStation 4 VR games. The software has access to Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, Star Trek: Bridge Force, and many other titles that gamers love.
Sony PlayStation VR has a CNET rating of 7.5 out of 10 stars and a BestBuy rating of 4.6 stars out of 5. One user claims that he experienced image drift, which caused nausea while playing. Most of the gamers who loved this product commend the list of games available -- especially the Resident Evil 7, Star Trek, and Until Dawn. They also enjoyed the demo and default games available.
- 3K anti-sde AMOLED display (2880x1600) with wide 110O field of view
- Easy setup process, leveraging inside-out tracking (no additional tracking equipment necessary)
- Access to Windows mr store and steamer libraries for thousands of games & experiences
- Premium, built-in AKG headphones w/360O spatial Sound and Mic
- Adjustable headband, now 10% lighter with improved comfortable materials
The Samsung Odyssey has a screen resolution of 1440x1600, a pixel density at 661 pixels per inch, and a user-perceived 1,233 pixels per inch because of the Anti-SDE (screen door effect) AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode. Additionally, it has a field of view (FOV) of 110 degrees. Its optic specs are one of the best, if not the best, among the VR headsets available. This product uses a six-axis accelerometer and gyroscope, a three-axis magnetometer, a proximity sensor, and an interpupillary distance (IPD) sensor.
Samsung Odyssey has access to Mixed Reality gaming, which is Augmented Reality on Virtual Reality. That feature is possible because of the Windows Mixed Reality software accessible using this headset.
Samsung Odyssey has a BestBuy rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. One of the comments says that the tracking of this device is poor despite changing the lighting and rearranging the room. Most of the users loved the visuals on this product, even the ones who gave 2-star ratings. They say that there were no screen-door effects or god rays observed while using this device, which is not true for the other products they tried.
- Compatible OS : Must be connected by a cable to a PC running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Inside-out cameras : Eliminate the need for external cameras and setup.
- Required connectors : Features an HDMI 2.0 video output, USB 3.0, and 3.5mm audio jack., Easy to wear and take off flip-up visor : Enables convenient transition from the virtual to the real world.
- Weight-balanced, cushioned headband : Takes the pressure off your nose and cheeks and offers comfort for long-lasting VR sessions., Wireless controllers: Dell Visor Controllers allow smooth movement in VR and provide haptic feedback for a more immersive experience. Features Bluetooth interface for an easy setup.
- Bend VR to your will :Includes a thumb stick, touchpad, trigger button, grab button, windows button, menu button, pairing button., Wireless controllers Dell Visor Controllers allow smooth movement in VR and provide haptic feedback for a more immersive experience
- Easy to wear and take off flip-up visor, Package Dimensions 20.5 x 16 x 7.5 inches
The Dell Visor has a screen resolution of 1440x1440 and 706 pixels per inch. The product has the best optic specs, if you don't consider the user-perceived pixel density of the Samsung Odyssey. Additionally, it has an inside-out tracking camera, which means that external sensors are no longer necessary.
It also uses accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer as sensors. Lastly, like the Samsung Odyssey, it has access to Microsoft Mixed Reality which is the latest in the VR industry.
The Dell Visor has a BestBuy rating of 4.0 stars out of 5. One user said there are issues with occasional blurriness and that the images are not clear enough to read the fine print. According to many users, though, using a high-performance computer makes the graphics fluid and smooth. They also loved the cliffhouse interface where you can customize it, and even make it look like your actual desk.
IS LG VR HEADSET THE BEST VIRTUAL REALITY HEADSET FOR GAMERS
In choosing the best among the tethered VR headsets, we looked at three things: the visual specifications of the products, sensors used, and the availability of VR games for that particular item. For optical specifications, we checked the resolution and pixel density of the lenses, given that the quality of the display affects the immersive feel of the product. We also looked at the sensors used by the product, as these affect the responsiveness of the device to the users’ movements. Finally, we checked the availability of games that can be accessed by the product’s compatible software.
Of all the products presented, we believe the HTC Vive Pro stood out the most. It has the most sensors, which helped with the large-area tracking capability. This feature makes this product the most immersive as long as you have space. Additionally, it has one of the highest visual specs in this list. The visual features of a VR headset are crucial in maintaining the authenticity of the experience, and this product delivered. Finally, its access to both Vive Port and
Steam VR gives you broad access to great games.
The LG VR headset may be an option for those who already own the LG G5 phone. It's one of the most comfortable headsets, but we find it's not the best option for those who want to experience virtual reality. It may be least in price, but it is also least in quality.
We hope to have enlightened you whether to add the LG VR headset to your gadgets cart.
Have you checked out any of the VR headsets on this list? What did you think of them? Let us know in the comments below.